Monday, July 30, 2012

chip kick

I've been on a chip making kick lately.  I made homemade potato chips last week.  Yesterday I used the same recipe but made sweet potato chips instead and they were amazing.  I highly recommend using sweet potatoes.  The crunch and flavor is unbeatable.

Justin brought home delicious homemade flour tortillas from Market Day on Friday.  I made a batch of chicken enchiladas with half the bag then tucked away the rest of the tortillas for later.  Homemade anything, including tortillas, don't stay fresh for long so I whipped up a batch of guacamole and then made tortilla chips with the rest of the flour tortillas.

I'm not going to pretend this is revolutionary.  People do this all the time.  I just forget how good they taste!  Fresh homemade tortillas are the best.  Just cut the tortillas into triangles, spread them on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake at 350 degrees until crispy and browned.  These were gone within the hour.  It was a perfect Friday afternoon snack for the kids.
If you're curious about the guacamole; I mash together avocados, lime juice, salt, and granulated garlic until the flavor is to my liking.  Then slice, seed, and dice a ripe tomato to stir in.  If I had cilantro, that would also be thrown in.  It's simple and I can't give you my exact proportions.  Guac is one of those things that should be improvised so that it comes together when you taste it (or your hubby tastes it) and says, Yes-that's it!

No comments: