Wednesday, July 25, 2012

banana smoothies

Banana smoothies are one of the girls' favorite snacks.  I kind of have a secret love for them too!  We fell in love with this type of sweet blended smoothie after all our trips to Jonah's Fruit Shakes on Boracay Island in the Philippines.  Jonah's has the most amazing shakes. We sometimes drank three a day. We try to recreate them with these recipes.  
Cheers!
Choco Banana Smoothie
two small ripe bananas (or 1 American size big banana)
1/3 cup milk
1-2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
4-5 ice cubes.
Serves 2 little people or one big person

Blend the bananas, milk and chocolate in a blender until smooth.  Add the ice and blend until milk shake consistency.  Serve with straws and make a big deal about getting a chocolate milkshake in the middle of the day!  My girls go gaga for this mostly banana and ice smoothie.

The following is my favorite variation. I decided during our last trip to Boracay, May 2011, that the chocolate was too sweet for me.

Vanilla Banana Peanut Smoothie
two small ripe bananas (or 1 American size big banana)
1/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp peanut butter and small handful of peanuts (if you have them-Jonah's always made their peanut smoothies chunky)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4-5 ice cubes
Serves 2 little people or just me!

Same as the chocolate smoothie, blend the soft ingredients first then add the cubes.  Enjoy with thoughts of white sand beaches in your head!


3 comments:

Emily said...

We just started our latest smoothie kick. Thomas and I love them. We will have to try these!

Sara said...

It's such a great quick snack or dessert. I usually try to go for something without the chocolate but once in awhile it's a treat! What kind do you make? Have you ever tried any with greens in them? I haven't yet but am scoping out a recipe for it.

Lynne said...

I love that smoothies are such a treat for the kids that they can be used for bribes :) We just did something very similar to the chocolate banana one this week for the first time. I love the idea of throwing peanut butter in, I'll have to try that one. We usually stick with fruit & juice in ours and I've been looking to branch out.