Monday, January 14, 2013

first annual Christmas party


If you didn't already know it, I really love to throw parties.  This year we decided to host a Christmas party, open house potluck style.  I made all the desserts and cocktails and everyone else brought side dishes.
Campfire cake-6 layers of chocolate cake with toasted marshmallow filling and malted milk chocolate frosting.  Perfect!


It was a gorgeous afternoon and Christmas music played merrily.  We had a huge crowd and everyone enjoyed homemade hot buttered rum as well as whiskey sours and Manhattans (the two drinks I learned to mix two days before the party).  Playing bartender was so much fun.
I made Christmas cookies and pie as well as two cakes and a huge plate of almond rocca.  I love sampling all the snacks people brought.  Friends of ours brought an amazing homemade olive tapenade and another good friend made mini pizzas in the shape of Christmas trees!  There was a ton of food and with everyone lubricated from liquor or wine, the party was a blast.


It won't be the last Christmas party we host.  I hope we can make it an annual event.  

3 comments:

Sadie said...

Is that a kilt your husband is wearing! Now that IS an awesome party! Sounds like a great time. I need to be posted with you next tour to learn at the hands of the master :-). I made your stromboli this weekend - it was perfect.

Sara said...

Sadie-my husband is actually wearing plaid wool Christmas pants! Lots of people think they are a kilt though. The pants are a family tradition that was passed to him after his grandfather passed away. His grandfather wore them every Christmas and now my husband is carrying on the tradition!

Sadie said...

Aha! Either way, a great tradition :-).