Thursday, September 23, 2010

field trip

Addie's preschool headed to Ark Avalon Zoo yesterday for our first field trip of the year. It's a nice little enclosed zoo. Small enough for a few hours to feed the bunnies, guinea pigs and goats. We also got to see some crocodiles, tigers and other cool animals. Addie was not down with the monkeys. I have no idea where the fear came from but I guess just the idea of a chimp wearing clothes walking around interacting with the kids and posing for photos is kind of creepy in and of itself. Once I promised her I'd keep her safe and we wouldn't have to look at the monkey she was feeling better. It was a long hot morning and a very bumpy bus ride back to school. Addie was exhausted for the rest of the day and I have eleven mosquito bites to show for the trip. That and some good Mommy/daughter time with my eldest!My favorite part was watching her feed the carrots to the animals. She loved it and was not afraid to walk around finding different little groups of bunnies or guinea pigs to feed. Most of the time a group would start nibbling on her carrot and she'd pull the stick away and walk over to the lone little guinea pig off to the side who wasn't eating. She'd say "here you go little one, do you want some?" It made me think of how my sister, Megan, is that way as well. Always looking out for the little lonely one, the underdog, always inclusive, and helping everyone especially the outsider. It was so sweet to see Addie displaying this nurturing characteristic. Instinctively she sought out the little guinea pigs who were alone, not realizing that they probably weren't hungry. It took Addie the longest to finish the carrot but she didn't seem to mind.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yay addie! It looked like fun! I love you

Megan said...

In response to the last photo in the post- I think I've seen a picture from the early 80's were you had that exact hair-do and expression on your face. Like mother like daughter! Addie is so sweet! Love you all.

Terry said...

Gotta love a petting zoo, sans mosquitos.