Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Filipino Christmas

My impressions of Christmas in the Philippines have changed drastically every year we've lived in Manila. The first year I was appalled to hear Christmas carols in September and alarmed when our friends had their tree and decorations up before Thanksgiving. The second year we put our tree up before Thanksgiving and enjoyed the abundant holiday celebrations around the city much more. This year I'm ready to assimilate even more. Halloween is done...bring on Christmas. I am so excited that I've already started taking notes, drawing sketches, holiday shopping, working on our Christmas card. Filipinos are really good at glitzy sparkly over the top Christmas (not just Christmas but anything really) and I kind of wanna jump on the bandwagon this year. It's our last year in the P.I. so why not? I guess you could say I've gone a little native when it comes to celebrating Christmas.

I was truly inspired by a friend's Halloween party we attended on Sunday. She LOVES Halloween and has her entire life. It was the most immaculate Halloween party I've ever seen. The decorations and food and the passion she put into making everything look so wonderful was amazing. It got me thinking about Christmas.

I LOVE Christmas! This year I am going to really go for it. My first project was planning a small Christmas tree for the girls. I went to Rustan's for inspiration. I love their home floor during Christmas. Here's just one section of the Holiday decor. Every corner is a new theme and style of Christmas decorations. I'm pretty traditional in my decorating for the holidays. Silver and purple just doesn't say Christmas to me but I'm willing to push the envelope a little this year. I picked up some coordinating shatter proof ornaments for the girl's tree and then on the way home from getting Addie as school we stopped by a roadside vendor and bought an $8 handmade painted twig tree. Addie was so excited to decorate it.

Here's how it turned out. Complete with Addie's handmade star on top with leftover jewels from her Halloween costume. And a baby blanket wrapped around the base Charlie Brown style. It's the first coordinating tree I've ever done. I love the bright green, silver and a hint of pink. It's way more sparkle than I've ever done. It's the girls' Filipino Christmas tree. Last night Ayala St. turned on their Christmas lights for the first night, so Christmas has officially started here in Manila. I say, "bring it on".

8 comments:

Bfiles said...

this tree is spectacular! what fun!

Sunny said...

Check out that kitchen store at the Fort Strip. They have tons of shatterproof awesome Christmas stuff.

Miss you tons and tons.

Rachel said...

Christmas is my favorite! Love the tree!

Melinda Renee said...

LOVE IT! One of my coworkers here is Filipina and she asked us all if we would mind listening to xmas music last Monday. I sure don't mind, but people are giving us a bad time now. I just shared your blog link, and told her that it's a-okay because it's her tradition!! *grin* Maybe I should be Filipina too, I ♥ xmas songs, all year long.

Sara said...

There are so many reasons to start celebrating Christmas earlier than the day after Christmas. It's such a spirit lifting time of year and rushing to get everything stuffed into December for Christmas is kind of stressful!

meredith said...

Ok, your white tinsel tree is WAY fancier than mine - will see if I can get my up next week and then co-celebrate our "Tacky and Tropic in '10 Christmas"!

MaricrisG said...

Your first statement about hearing Christmas song in September made me smile! That is how I remembered it growing up. Now that I'm in the US, it's just neat how different it is here :-)

Unknown said...

Hello..what kind of tree/plant is that?looks great.