Thursday, October 7, 2010

hair

My husband compliments my hair on the days I get a haircut. It's pretty and blown dry by the staff at Philippe's. I wave away their urgent pomade/styling cream covered fingers. Hands off! If you leave off that junk I can save this blow dry and wear it straight and glossy tomorrow too. Day 3 after my haircut I am back to my wavy untamed locks. I like it wavy and a little unruly. It's natural and so easy. I just let it air dry, what can be easier than that? Straight long hair was so 2001 for me (see below). While I like it wavy and carefree, my husband likes my hair straight and glossy and all one length. To me, that means boring and a tedious 15 minutes of fussing and blow drying daily, which I will not do any longer.

I was going to blow dry my hair today. I had plans to take the time and use my smoothing cream and dry it section by section. It's date night tonight so I thought Justin would appreciate the extra effort I'd spend to do my hair the way he likes it. In the end, Bella and I spent a little too long with her snack and blocks and I had just enough time to race in the shower. I prioritized the hair situation and decided to shave my legs (for the first time this week-blond leg hair is such a time saver) instead of blow dry. It was a small sacrifice to make. But this is what happens more often than not. A far cry from straight and glossy. I reminded myself why my husband likes my hair straight, long, glossy, circa 2001. It's how my hair was when we first met in DC. It was my hair from when we were carefree and didn't eat for fear of being sick from being so jittery in love (before me moved into the eat everything and lay in bed all summer in love phase. What? You didn't have a fat summer of love? Oh just us? Crap!). My hair was straight, long, and glossy when we were going to house parties in basements, with built in bars, when the play list was MP3s on desk top computer in the corner, and there were lots of plastic commemorative college bowl game cups full of mediocre beer. Looking at it from that perspective, I almost miss my hair too. Almost. What would have been your choice? Blow dry or shave?

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I would have done both, blow dry and shave. The extra 15 minutes to make Justin wait would have been worth it! And btw, that picture of you two is too funny. You guys look so young! Justin looks like he's wearing lipstick! I love to see old pictures!

Terry said...

Nice thing about no boyfriend is I never have to make those decisions. Of course the next time I shave my legs it will have to be with a weed wacker.
XOXO

Elyse said...

Wow! Justin sporting the Britches warthog shirt...brings back memories!
I think I would have picked a quick shave and an even quicker blow dry. The joys of dark leg hair and frizzy air dried hair! Lucky you for being blonde and unfrizzy!! ;)

Sara said...

Since I didn't make it clear in the post, My hair was dry at date night time. Wet when I left the house this morning to run errands. Don't worry I don't go on dates with my hubby with wet hair in a pony. Ak!

Bfiles said...

thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! ps I think you have fabulous hair!

Melinda Renee said...

Unruley curls are always more fun than silky straight.... but I think I might be a bit biast. *wink*