Sunday, October 3, 2010

ant hunting

Ants are a problem. That statement is really all that needs to be said for someone to understand the situation at our house the last few weeks. I have been watching tiny ants run around our counter tops, table, desk, kitchen floor and not really noticing the problem for it's whole until this weekend.

Let's just say the ants were messing with the wrong lady. Once I sat and watched and noticed their chemical trails I found a few feeding spots in the kitchen and pantry (I swear we aren't nasty filthy people. A few crystals of brown sugar loose on the shelf in the pantry elicited an ant march like their civil rights were at stake). We bought some bait traps only to find out after we'd placed them in the house that they won't kill harvest or pharaoh ants (which I think we have). I ant chalked the heck out of the place. The problem is that they just find a new entry point and food source as soon as I eliminate one. I was really getting angry when I found a few ants up on the dining room table again (after cleaning multiple times. Candy Pop Rocks were strewn across the place mats a few weekends back after a birthday party-the ants were having a hay day even though the few Pop Rocks left were minuscule) Anyway, I did some detective work (i.e. watch where the little trail of ants was heading) only to discover they were crawling under our big potted plant by the front door. I hit the jack pot. There was a nest under/in the pot and we quickly cleaned up the ants and sent that plant outside to the balcony. Sadly, it didn't solve the problem in the kitchen so I'm sure there is another nest somewhere. Seriously gross!

The indoor plant's new outdoor home.

No comments: