Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fort Bonifacio Global City

Saturday we strolled around High Street in Fort Bonifacio. The Fort is a planned Global City (community) with upscale retail and residential condominiums. It's located about 10 minutes east of Makati so we've been a few times already just to walk, eat, and shop. As we walked along the shops in the sweltering mid-day heat I couldn't help but be surprised at the decadence in front of me while so many Filipino live in poverty just right around the corner. It's amazing and sad. I'll admit it didn't make me so sad that I turned down my iced tea and free Krisy Kreme doughnut. Addie's favorite part of the trip was the green balloon from Krispy Kreme. I window shopped at Calvin Klein, United Colors of Benetton, Nine West, and a dozen other high-end shops feeling like I had my dress tucked in my panties. Not because of the breeze but because of all the stares I get and we get from the Filipino's and others of Asian descent. We are no longer anonymous and it gets old after awhile. If only they could understand the pain of a sunburn, then they wouldn't think pale skin is so great.
Anyway, I took some pictures of High Street so you won't feel bad for little old me in filthy dirty Manila. We could be on the Santa Monica promenade outside L.A. or the Reston town center or Pioneer Square in Portland, OR. Ok maybe not Portland or VA but still...it's pretty nice.

No comments: