Monday, September 27, 2010

sick-round 2

Just when I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel of my amoeba/bacteria belly; Arabella gets a runny nose. Justin gets it, then me, then Addie and suddenly my little light is extinguished before I even get a good nights rest. My lack of sleep can now be attributed to a sore throat and sinus pressure instead of a tummy ache. Either way, I'm exhausted and weak. How does one get a common cold while taking Cipro? That stuff treats anthrax for crud's sake, couldn't it just prevent a little cold. My microbiology professors weren't lying when they taught us the difference between virus and bacteria. Humph! Still. Come on!

It kind of sucks being the Mama when the family is sick. Everyone else gets taken care of first. I wouldn't have it any other way, and yet, I always take longer to recover from illnesses because of my role in caring for the girls' colds. Just part of the job description.

Yesterday, after a night of four hours of sleep and lots of frustrating insomnia like hours laying awake in bed stuffed up in the head, I just needed a little TLC. Yaya stepped up and watched the girls for an hour while I tried to take a nap (sort of successful) and then made the most delicious, heart warming, cold zapping soup for dinner.

It was a vegetable and pork soup with beans, potatoes, onions and parsley. It was cozy and the perfect thing to nurse a cold. Justin said it felt like being tucked-in by his Mom. So true and much needed. Soup was the TLC I needed.

7 comments:

alicantina709 said...

Hi there! Why do you think that you keep getting the amoeba/bacteria belly? This worries me as we'll be in Manila this Friday! Really glad for the move to finally arrive but quite nervous about all of these tummy trouble possibilities for me and the little one...and of course the hubby!
We'll be staying in Fraser place while looking for a house. Do you know of anywhere around there that we can walk our dog?? My email is alicantina709@hotmail.com
Hope you feel better soon!
Christine

Sara said...

Fraser place is in our neighborhood. You can walk the dog in the neighborhood but just have to pick up the mess. There aren't too many parks close. Ayala Triangle you can bring dogs too. That's not far. Your dog will learn to poo like a city dog pretty soon!

Wash hands well and wash food well. Eat at nice restaurants. You can get this stuff anywhere here because sanitation isn't as good as the States. Just do the best you can. Plan on getting some kind of tummy trouble while being here. Good thing is that it can get treated quickly! Don't drink the tap water!

Sara said...

Oh and I was really nervous about the kids getting sick too but my girls seem to have built up their immune systems pretty well here. These kind of troubles become part of the reality of an expat family.

alicantina709 said...

Thanks!
And you will be glad to know that we ALWAYS pick up the poop! ;)

Elyse said...

Feel better soon Sara! I know exactly how it is being the last one to get any TLC! Try to sit back and relax at some point!

Rachel said...

Being sick as the mom is never fun! We are always putting everyone before ourselves so it takes longer for us to get well! I hope you start to feel better soon!

Terry said...

I am so sorry you're not feeling well, all the more reason for me to help you guys out in New Zealand.
1-800-FUN-TIME
XOXO