Monday, September 13, 2010

diner party Pilipinas style

We've gone native in lots of ways having lived in SE Asia for over two years now. We prefer Vietnamese Pho over TGI Fridays chips and salsa, we bring our own toilet paper where ever we go, and we serve whole fish to our out-of-town dinner guests.

This is sweet and sour Lapu Lapu. We served it with steamed rice as well as vegetable and pork lumpia (Filipino egg rolls). This is my favorite fish dish that Cora makes. We just slice off the fillets or if I'm eating alone in the kitchen, as I often do; I sit and pick all the delicious fish off the bone. The sauce is made with fresh ginger and onions and it's simply delicious. Amazingly, the girls love this meal too. Addie has a bit of trouble looking at her dinner's open mouth and pointy teeth. Not so much that it prevents her from shoveling down forkfuls of the fish.

Cora loves making this dish too because while we may serve this to guests for dinner, we haven't gone totally native. Cora gets to eat the heads for her meal. Apparently the cheeks and eyes are the best part.

We're still not there folks. She can have her cheeks and eyes.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Yum That Lapu Lapu looks great! I still remember how yummy the one I had in Boracai was! The head is a bit unnerving but the taste overrides it.

Bfiles said...

YUM. I want to learn how to cook whole fish. I really enjoyed it when we were in Belize. It's probably not that complicated!

Sara said...

No it's not complicated at all. I think the prep of the fish (cleaning/descaling) etc is the tough part.

Rachel said...

I definitely got sick looking at that picture! It reminds me of the movie A Christmas Story when they had to ducks head chopped off at Christmas dinner!

Terry said...

Let me know when you have the "Grilled Frog" recipe.
XOXO