Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sofitel buffet

Holy cow it's been a week since I've blogged. What a week! Wednesday was the former Philippine president Corazon Aquino's funeral so it was an impromptu national holiday. Justin treated me to a wonderful lunch at the Sofitel buffet after a very hectic morning with the girls. We slipped off at lunch time while the baby was sleeping. The Sofitel is a beautiful hotel with a ridiculously extravagant buffet. This buffet is beyond your wildest imagination. Justin joked that he didn't think I was ever going to pick up something to eat, I just kept walking from table to table, from station to station in awe of the splendor of food before me. I've never seen anything like it. I insist on going into more detail so you can try to picture it.

There was sushi and a raw oyster bar, shrimp, a cheese selection that almost made me cry (severe cheese lover), there was a pasta station, smoked fish, basket after basket of breads, gazpacho station, shwarma, Korean food, Indian food station, grilled meat station with the most amazing lamb chops with mint jelly I've ever had, soba noodle station, dim sum, Peking duck, fruit bar, Chinese food, pizza, Filipino food, Mediterranean food, and more. Then there was the dessert section and I was like Charlie Bucket, I swear it was amazing. Tiny little slices of all the cakes imaginable, mousse, cheesecake, fondu station, crepes, waffles, gelato, cotton candy, Halo Halo, and then dessert drinks. I had delicious Tiramisu cake, chocolate mousse, and cotton candy. I'm a sucker for fresh spun cotton candy. Come on, who isn't? It was the most amazing culinary experience I've ever had. Everything was delicious and I had the best eating partner. My lovely husband. I couldn't have asked for a better afternoon.

The cotton candy lady, I came back for seconds of this. Here is the dessert drinks in little shot glasses. It was like my chemistry labs complete with dry ice! I had the apple aloe vera and honey cinnamon.
On the way home we ran into the procession for the funeral. There were crowds of people in the rain honoring their former president. A very somber occasion and tons of fitting rain.

No comments: