Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mom boots

Okay, so Addie's not the only one who ended up with new boots! My awesome husband gave me the go ahead on a Zappos order and even helped me narrow down my selection of boots. (cause, when you live in a foreign country and all your besties have moved back home, you're asking your husband for style advice more often than you ever thought you'd have to-No joke here.)

First of all, I need to give a little shout out to Zappos! Seriously great customer service. Free shipping to overseas military addresses and free return shipping. Hello! I know I'm not the only one loving this online shoe store.

Second is my criteria. I needed a mid-calf high flat reddish brown leather saddle looking boot (note: I said needed. If I had said "wanted" I would have described something very different). I needed something stylish but something practical and comfortable to walk around in. Nothing I'd be afraid to get wet or dirty or Mom-ified (you know what happens to all your stuff you don't save for date night-it's totally Mom-ified-like avocado stains on the shoulders of all my t-shirts). While I really would love to be able to click that little $300-$500 price range box that filters out anything cheaper-that's just not happening-like EVER- so my criteria had a lot to do with the bottom line price for quality.

My husband hates all those 80's revival slouch boots that I LOVE! So those were out because, if I wanted him to be on board with this purchase, I felt I needed to actually listen to his opinion on this (but he did give me a tip to ask his Mom if I can go through her closet to get all her vintage 1980's boots! He was making a joke-I took it as a good suggestion). So I listened to his advice, even though he's proven time and again that he knows next to nothing about women's fashion. A prime example of this was when I casually mentioned that I had no closed toes comfortable cold weather shoes to wear for our upcoming trip to New Zealand. "What about your tennis shoes?" was his answer. Case in point.

Anyhow, I asked for his opinion and I got it. No hot 80's boots. He did however like the saddle style flat boots. A pair of Frye boots were my inspiration. Anyway, I went forth and searched the never ending shoe universe that is Zappos and came up with a few options. I ordered these and these.

The Anne Klein boots are definitely the more stylish and feminine of the two pairs. They make my legs look a tiny bit longer and have a really nice narrow rounded toe. Sadly, they have almost no cushion on the sole, the leather isn't anywhere close to being "soft" and they are lined with a flimsy acetate. They just weren't comfortable to walk in, even in the house.

The Keen boots on the other hand were like wearing, well, Keens. They have a great soft sole and lots of height. The leather is exceptional quality, even on the inside. These boots are the perfect combination between comfort, utility and style. Style wise, I'm not a huge fan of the square-ish toe and thick black sole (I've never been a Keen wear-a-tire-on-your-feet kind of girl) but in all honesty this boot is the best quality for the price. I'm actually disappointed that Anne Klein would charge what they do for that boot.

I'm really happy with the choice (Justin's favorite too-maybe he's not clueless-he's practical-that's what he is). I'm not going to win any fashion award for wearing Keen boots but I'm also not even remotely interested in entering any fashion contests. So there! I'm going to be walking, pushing strollers, carting groceries, picking out Christmas trees, teaching my girls to ride bicycles, and just generally being a Mom in these boots. I can get a pair of date boots later!

Me and little me in our new boots. She was thrilled to be "matching"!

13 comments:

Terry said...

Keens are sort of like Uggs. Not the sexiest, but you can wear them all day and still have "Happy Feet".
XOXO

Megan said...

This wear-a-tire-on-your-feet-kind-of-girl loves those keen boots. They look so comfy. You are now indoctrinated into the wonderful world of Keen comfort. Enjoy!

Sara said...

Meg-I am ordering you as your big sister to go buy a pair of these boots. At Zappos even. You will love them!

Emily said...

Those are great boots. I have never ordered from Zappos, but I definitely need to give it a try.

Kristin said...

I have to say that I would not have picked those boots out based on the Zappos picture, but seeing them on you is a totally different story. You do make them look like the stylish boot that is not portrayed on the website. As for my boot dilemna, I strayed from my previous criteria and bought some Clark Privos for commuting and a pair of Nine West Workbooks (that is the style name) for my casual, weekend day wear.

Megan said...

Sara- I'd get some but the $900 i just spent on plane tickets is putting a damper on my bank account.Maybe they will go on sale.

-megan

Rachel said...

I'm with Justin on not being a fan of the slouch boots. I do enjoy the pair of boots you got for your trip. They look super cute and comfy!

Sunny said...

I want a pair!

Sara said...

LOVE Zappos!

I like your blog - look forward to reading more about your adventures in the Philippines.

Unknown said...

Great boots! You'll get good use out of them here.

shanewarner said...

navigare shoes in pakistan

aas said...

I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. formal shoes pakistan

Haabroo said...

Great, there's so much information to know even I didn't even know few things that I found here. This website - shop men’s formal boots also provides so much knowledge about formal boots.