Friday, October 1, 2010

Gown making 2010: Step 2 freak out

My second fitting for a gown always seems to be the worst. The lining is complete but the top layer (the layer that really maters) is always a complete mess. The fabric placement on this dress especially makes me nervous because even after fiddling with it for a while I couldn't get it to lay quite how I pictured it in my head. The sleeves need more structure and are too long. The cowl hangs awkwardly, the waistline is nonexistent and my hips look three times too big in this version of the dress. That's why we call it a work in progress. In the end Frankie said he'll get a new piece of red satin for the top and go from there. At this stage in the process I not only worry whether the dress will turn out how I envision, but also if I had the right dress made in the first place. I am always torn with following through with the project and mentally kicking myself for not having a practical simple black dress made. There is no turning back now. Onward to the finished product. Next week is a new fitting. Right now it's a far cry from the original.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow! Love the red, I'm sure it will look gorgeous when it's done. I remember seeing that dress on the red carpet and loving it. I was too timid to step out of my Black Dress comfort zone, but have to admit the red is beautiful and would consider it for next time. See you at the Ball!

Terry said...

Satin is so unforgiving. Tell me that the color is true red and not the red orange my computer is showing me.
XOXO