Friday, August 23, 2013

Back to School


I'm a bit late on getting a back to school blog post up, but here it is anyhow.  This summer completely flew by for us.  The almost month we spent in South Africa was the culprit and I'm forever grateful.  Rainy season can be tedious with three little ones at home but this summer sailed by.  Both Adelaide and Arabella were ready to get back to their school routines.  Addie is such a sweet and patient big sister but after all the time at home with Bella and Ash she admitted being ready to get back to her friends and days without, as she puts it "Addie do this, Addie get that, Addie help me...".  Hmmm, I know how she feels.  I was ready to get back to our school year routine as well.  Summer was great but it had to go.

Addie started a week earlier than her little sister and it was nice that her and I had a chance to go to International Community School (ICS) just the two of us the day before school started and scope out her class, set up her hot lunch account and calm her nerves. The first day she was ready for drop off and thrilled to see her friends again.  Her teacher, Mrs. Wendy seems nice and we're hoping the year goes well.  It's been much easier for me to ease into the crack-o-dawn bus pick-up and making lunches than last year.  I did relent, and allow hot lunch twice a week.  Now I only pack three days and a snack the other two.  She's happy and so am I.





Bella was even easier getting back to school.  Head To Toe preschool has been her favorite place in Ethiopia.  She went last year and she's there again.  Another year older, a different teacher but for the most part the same kids and the same things.  It's her last year in preschool before she heads to elementary school with her big sister.  I'm eager to see Bella's development this year.  Last year from the first day to the last of preschool she was a different kid and I'm certain it will be same this year.  Bella's such a fun little girl with an immense amount of character and I love how Head To Toe nurtures these things.


Ashlynn will be 2 in October and won't start preschool until next year.  Thank goodness, I have one more year with her at home.  She's so independent and we hear "I do it!", "me too", and "mine" a lot.  She's talking better than Bella was at three so I'm certainly not worried about her development.  If anything, having two older siblings is helping her to grow faster than anything else.  When her sisters leave for school we sit down together in the morning and eat a two egg omelette together.  I have coffee and she runs around with her dolls under her arms.  She watches Elmo or Dora (two favorites), gets dressed, asks for crackers insistently for the next three hours and plays.  I try to get some "work" done online or baking if it's one of those days.  She always pops in the kitchen at the perfect time to dip her finger in the cake batter or accept a chocolate covered beater or spoon.  She's my little sidekick and I love it.

So here we are at the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year.  The girls are thrilled, so am I and we're ready to enjoy this last 11 months in Addis.  It's going to be a great year!

No comments: