Saturday, May 8, 2010

Aussie Rules Football round 2

Justin has been trying to get us to come watch his Aussie Rules Football team this season and I've been a bit hesitant due to our experience with it last year. Last season I was running after Addie while trying to keep a 2 month old Bella from crying, all while willing myself not to melt in the insane Manila summer heat. Justin would play football while I tried to corral the kids. There was nothing fun about this experience for me. I was sticky and hot and didn't actually spend one second "watching football". To me it seemed like a good cover story my husband had come up with so he could go roll around with the boys and a football but not feel guilty cause his girls were there "watching". It was binned as "family time". HA! family time my tush as I bounced a sweaty infant in the Baby Bijorn and chased after Adelaide every two minutes as she tried to run to her Dad on the field.

He convinced me yesterday to come out and try again. If the heat was terrible we could go home, we packed a picnic dinner to stave off the girls' hunger, and the promise of shade and other kids all persuaded me to go. The Manila polo club is a really nice spot for the games and this year they've placed the tent on the shady side of the field. I have to admit that it was much better this time. What a difference a year makes. Addie immediately made friends with a few other little girls who were there to watch their Dads play and Bella just wanted to walk around and play with the footballs. If she wasn't doing that she was munching on Goldfish crackers. The breeze in the shade made the heat bearable. We had a lot of fun! The girls crashed really hard last night after the long day in the sunshine. It was a pleasant family outing this time. I wasn't hot and irritable afterward. Maybe my body has adjusted to the heat more than I thought because it really felt nice outside. I'm glad we tried it again. Plus Bella got in on the team photo. Some of those Aussies are bruisers!

1 comment:

Terry said...

Wow! Shade and Uniforms, doesn't get much better than that.
I'm such a sucker for a guy in uniform.
XOXO,