Sunday, June 29, 2008

Shopping in Manila

I've been chomping at the bit to do some serious shopping in Manila. There are so many untapped resources for cute clothes and there are so many stores that I've never seen. Lot's and lots of Asian stores selling trendy women's clothes. I'm lucky that I'm small enough (even if I'm a bit tall) to fit in the clothes (even if I have to buy a size up). The other interesting thing about shopping here is that there is a huge variety in the stores, everything from fancy department stores like Rustan's and Marks and Spencer to little boutiques and even little stall or vendor stores that sell locally made or knock-off clothes. I love to shop and I love a bargain so I couldn't wait to check it out. The few times I've been to Glorietta (the large mall close to us) I've been overwhelmed my the crowds and number of stores and wings to this mall. Plus I get bombarded by sales clerks the moment I enter a store. I've been so worried about finding my way back to where I started that I barely make it out of Rustan's before I panic and head back in.

Saturday, I left Justin and Addie at home and took a taxi to the mall alone. Alone...it was so nice. I felt a little more confidant so I actually spent some time looking at Rustan's and happened across a local Filipino designer, U that had a great selection of colorful and fun tops, skirts, and dresses. Every piece was feminine and flirty with ruffles, pleats, puckered sleeves, buttons, and flowery appliques. I brought home two tops; one tunic length electric blue with bright pink buttons, and another light green collared button down with pleated ruffles down the front. The sleeves have cute button details.

The next store I discovered is British India which is a Filipino store just recently franchised in Malaysia. They have great handmade clothes, all with a very Indian/Tommy Bahama feel (without the Tommy Bahama prices). I picked up two knit tops with crochet detailing. On Sunday I showed Justin British India and he loved it too. The men's clothes were casual and beautifully made. Everything has a tropical island feel. Perfect for the Philippines. There are so many untapped resources here!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

seems like you've done your shopping galore to Manila's premiere shopping malls. Rustans and Glorietta are well known for its branded items. though it really have a good quality.



online deals