Thursday, February 13, 2014

St. Valentines

The wilted rose was my "Valentime" from Arabella two days ago.  
I am never more thankful for being separated from the commercial generated consumerism of America, than on Valentines Day.  I know I'm not the only one that is not a fan of the forced romanticism of February 14th. All the tacky red roses in plastic and boxed mediocre chocolates.  It sort of makes me want to boycott the holiday all together.

But for the past 6 or so years overseas, February 14th comes along without all the hype.  I've noticed that without someone shoving Valentines Day down my throat, I am more interested in celebrating it.  This year, I was even feeling a little mushy the few days leading up to today.  I think it's because we celebrate the idea that Valentines Day is a reminder to express yourself to those you love.

I'm not a romantic person.  My husband is very thoughtful though and extremely good about sharing how much the girls and I mean to him on a daily basis.  I feel like Valentines Day is not necessary for him.  But it's good for me to share how I feel with those who mean the most to me.  It's good for me to get sappy about it all for one day.

Today the girls received Valentines themed books from Daddy (he's the amazing one who orders in advance) and these sweet little cookies from Mommy.  Maybe an extra hug or three from both of us.

I hope your day is full of big love and lots of hugs!

No comments: