Sunday, March 11, 2012

stuffed shells

These stuffed shells were so yummy and easy I have to share the recipe.

I boiled 24 jumbo pasta shells until mostly done, drizzled a bit of olive oil on them and set them aside for stuffing.  In my food processor I chopped a handful of fresh parsley, spinach, fresh chives and five cloves of garlic.  I added one can of mushrooms without the liquid and pulsed the processor until it was all combined and chopped finely.  Next I added about a cup and a half of ricotta cheese, one egg, salt and pepper and pulsed it until it was well combined.

In a large glass pan I spooned my homemade tomato sauce on the bottom.  Jarred spaghetti sauce would be perfect.  A good layer of sauce is needed.  Addie helped me spoon the ricotta mixture into the shells and place them on top of the sauce.  Cover the pan with foil and bake covered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.  Uncover, sprinkle with Parmesan and cook for another 5 minutes.  It was that simple and really delicious.  The fresh parsley was a nice bright flavor and the mushrooms added a nice texture to the cheese mixture without giving it a mushroom flavor.

Arabella at the cheese mixture out of the shells and left the noodles.  Adelaide ate the noodles and sauce but left the cheese mixture claiming it was too garlicky.  You definitely could roast the garlic first so there is no sharp garlic flavor before adding it to the food processor.  

No comments: