Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas spirit

Today started off our week of Christmas baking. I have to admit, it is lovely to spread out the baking since I am not working this year. In past years I scramble on a Saturday to do everything. All my cookie recipes are my Mother's. We've been baking the same cookies every Christmas since I was a little girl. There has never been a need to search out new Christmas cookie recipes because these are honest-to-God, the best selection you will ever find. I started out with the Spritz cookies, impressing my helper with my old fashioned cookie press (discovered at an estate sale no doubt by my folks). It's in the original box with the paperwork. The receipt inside states that the original owner paid $3.50 for it new! Too cute. I'm not sure what year it was made but on the side of the box it says that it was approved by the Good Housekeeping Institute in 1920.

Anyhow, I got a little off-track. Addie helped with the maraschino cherries and the green sprinkles. She favored the Christmas trees once they were out of the oven. We listened to Christmas music and burned a mistletoe candle while baking. I was grinning just from the happy feelings making these cookies gives me. It's even nicer that now I have a daughter to pass on the tradition to. From her avid interest in the mixer and ingredients, she will most likely prove to be a very good student. She's already figured out that when the mixer is off she can sneak her finger on the edge for a taste. Smart girl.
The cookies turned out pretty like every other year. On to the next cookie tomorrow.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Those are great. Addie seems to enjoy baking with you. I'm sure Justin even go to sample the "broken" ones just like Dad does. Enjoy the yummies. Your box is on it's way. Anything not wrapped is for you now. Anything wrapped has to wait until the big day.

Love Megan